Saturday, September 14, 2013

ECU Pirates fall short to Virginia Tech



LOCAL FEATURE


By Dathan Kazsuk | Sep 14, 2013
Twitter: @TriangleAT | Facebook: Triangle Around Town | Instagram: @trianglearoundtown

Purple! Gold! Purple! Gold!

This color combination was seen and heard a lot on Sept. 14, when I made my first ever appearance to Dowdy-Ficklen Stadium … home of the East Carolina Pirates.

The stadium, which seats 50,000 Pirate fans, were up on their feet when their home town team went head-to-head against the Hokies of Virginia Tech. The game started off pretty good for the Pirates, who took their opening drive 75-yards for the team’s only touchdown of the afternoon.

A view from our seats in the Pirate Club Seating.

Yes. I said it. The Pirates only scored 1 touchdown … and 1 field goal. But it was fun watching the game with my wife and two of our friends, who were nice enough to invite us to the game. Along with giving us tickets to watch the game in the Pirate Club seats, they also invited us to their “breakfast tailgate.”


The ECU band's formation is in the shape of our state.

After we had a few alcoholic drinks, we made our way into the stadium, and up to our seats. The seats had us looking down around the 40-yard line, so we had a great view of every play. But there was one thing that we could have used … some clouds! The sun was beating down on us the entire game, and with no sunscreen, I got baked!

My forearms, knees, nose and neck were beet red when I got home. The same applies to my wife, who is also as bright as a red solo cup.

One of the highlights of the game was Virginia Tech’s kicker, who kept the Pirates hopes up all day. Cody Journell missed two easy field goals, one extra point, and would have missed a third field goal if it wasn’t called back due to a penalty on the Pirates. I joked with my friend, telling him that “Cody was the Pirates best player.”

A video clip I took in between plays.






















So, after the Pirates lost the game 15-10, I broke down the game to my friend.

"Your quarterback stinks," I said.

"I wasn't expecting them to win this game anyway," he replies.

"You won't win many if he continues to play like that. The O-line is bad, and no receivers can get open. But their record is 2-1, so who knows."

ECU's next game is against the dreaded Tar Heels in Chapel Hill. This is one game where I hope the Pirates come out of there 3-1. Yeah, I'm not a UNC fan ... sorry.