Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Hey Catholics! It's Lent! What Fish Sandwich Will You Eat?

By Dathan Kazsuk  | March 7, 2017
Twitter: TriangleAT | Facebook: Triangle Around Town | Instagram: trianglearoundtown

I'm typically not a fan of fast food “fish” sandwiches, because, c’mon now … they are fast food fish sandwiches! But when that Lenten time of the year rolls around, I find myself on Fridays eating something boring such as a salad with some veggies on top – or going to one of the local fast food establishments and ordering, you guessed it, a fish sandwich.

So instead of just feeling the guilt of eating fast food fish, I thought I’d make a blog out of this. It will sort of put some justification to my actions. So this is easy. I’m going to sample 5 fish sandwiches from some of the large fast food chains here in Raleigh, and seeing which sandwich I like the best. I’m sacrificing my stomach for you, my fellow Catholics … or Presbyterians, Methodists, Lutherans or even Anglicans.


Now, another reason to appreciate what I'm doing is that under my current diet, I am no longer eating dairy, grains or processed foods, but for this week my diet is off. To make up for that, I am only buying the sandwich only - no combos. 


McDonald’s Filet O’ Fish - Honestly, this is one of my guilty pleasures. It can rank in my number one position – or wind up at the bottom of the list. It all depends on how it’s made. Bun, tarter sauce, processed orange cheese and a breaded square of Alaskan Pollock. It’s winning when you get a nice and warm steamed bun that melts the cheese and heaping globs of tarter sauce ooze out the side of every bite you take. It’s downright nasty when you get a non-steamed bun, no melted cheese and a spoonful of sauce. I would rate this a 7 when made properly, and a 5 when not done right.


Wendy's Premium Northern Pacific Cod Sandwich - This honestly tastes like something I would make at home. And that's not a bad thing - since my culinary skills are slightly above the average male. And it actually seemed a little healthier than most of the other sandwiches. Wendy's advertises their Cod is wild-caught from the North Pacific. The filet is lightly coated with Panko breading and topped with a large leaf of lettuce, a dill-style tarter sauce and 4 slices of dill pickles. The pickles makes the sandwich, unlike the Filet O' Fish or King Hawaiian, there is no cheese on Wendy's sandwich. I would rate this a 7 out of 10.



Burger King’s BK Spicy Big Fish – I was just going to order the Big Fish, but when I saw they had a Spicy Big Fish, I couldn’t resist. But I was very disappointed when I sat down to eat my sandwich. Upon removing the top bun, it was like I ran into a mess which I was eventually going to eat. The bun, appears to have been toasted, medium-well on the grill, with a handful of lettuce tossed between the buns with 2 pickles and a squirt of orange spicy sauce. With no tarter sauce, no cheese, and disappointing spicy sauce this one wasn’t what I was looking for. I would rate this a 5 out of 10. 


Arby's King Hawaiian Fish Sandwich – This was a rather impressive sandwich – and by far the largest of all I have sampled this past week. In between the King's Hawaiian Bun, along with a flank of flaky fish was shredded lettuce, two slices of tomatoes, tarter sauce and a slice of cheese. Put a little bit of Arby's famous Horsey Sauce in there to kick it up a notch and this sandwich fills your appetite – and your tummy. Another plus, is they give you three options – the one listed here, a fish flatbread and two crispy fish sandwiches for $5. I would rate this a 8 out of 10.


Bojangles' BojAngler Fish Sandwich – Known for its chicken and biscuits, I wasn't expecting the BojAngler to be something to write home about. Made with an Alaskan Pollock fillet, the sandwich features a slice of cheese, tarter sauce and leaf of lettuceI was actually impressed with this fish sandwich. The fish was hot and flaky, and would pair well with those seasoned fries, which I had to steer clear of that and the famous Ice-Tea. I would rate this a 6.5 out of 10. Would have tied with Wendy's sandwich if they would have included fresh dill pickles.

So there you have it. I've given you 5 options to check on during the next 5 Friday's of Lent this year. Now it's time to get some extra walks on the greenway to burn off all this excess fish!