Friday, January 4, 2013

Friday Night at Wine 101 in Wake Forest

Jay Murrie pours several Italian wines for
the patrons at Wine 101.


By Dathan Kazsuk | Jan 4, 2013
Twitter: TriangleAT | Facebook: Triangle Around Town | Instagram: trianglearoundtown


It's one of my most frequent hang outs.

The owner rocks. The atmosphere is great. The price is right.

Today, after a long week of work, with a holiday tossed in the middle, I decided it was a good night to enjoy a couple beers.

My wife, she enjoyed 5 different Italian wines.

Yes, we made the trip to Wine 101 in Wake Forest, to indulge in the company of owner, Joe O'Keefe, and the amazing people that call Wine 101 their home away from home.

Tonight's wine line up featured a sample of 5 Italian wines (Pietralta Bianco, La Casaccia Chardonnay and Grignolino, Borgo Dolcetto and De Capo Barbera) served by a local wine connoisseur, Jay Murrie. Jay was very adamant with the wines he was pouring tonight, going into vivid detail on the background of each wine and his own personal experiences with each of the wines.

I, on the other hand, enjoyed three beers during my time there.

The first was Moylan's Pomegrante Wheat. This beer, from Novato's Moylan's Brewery, was a very light tasting beer, and low-and-behold ... it was RED! The last time I kicked back a red brew was a Coney Island Freaktoberfest at Yardhouse prior to Halloween. Very light in body and a subtle hint of pomegranate. I would drink this one again.

The second beer was from the local brewer, White Street Brewing Co. Their Scottish Ale is just an amazing beer. Next to their Black IPA, it's right up there with my top beers the brewery crafts.

Finally I ended my night with Foothills Seeing Double IPA. In my opinion, you can never go wrong with a good IPA ... and Foothills Brewing Co. out of Winston-Salem delivers.

Be prepared to see a lot of my blogs hailing from Wine 101 ... it's an incredible store, and the owner goes out of his way to help you find what you're looking for.

If you haven't been to the store ... what are you waiting for? Make the trek to Wine 101 and experience customer service like you've never seen before.

Follow more of my adventures on Twitter here.