Friday, September 27, 2013

A Taste of Award-Winning Wines: Bell Wine Cellars

Bell Cellar Wines from Napa Valley.



By Dathan Kazsuk | Sep 27, 2013
Twitter: @TriangleAT | Facebook: Triangle Around Town | Instagram: @trianglearoundtown


If you haven’t figured it out by now, you must not read my blogs. 

But to say I enjoy wine and beer is an understatement. There are a lot of great wine and beer shops around Raleigh that offer up some great deals and great tastings. If you don’t take these places up on their offers, then I’m assuming you don’t enjoy the finer things in life like I do.

My latest tasting of some great wines came courtesy of the Bedford Wine Club. Well, actually of The Wine Cellar located in Sutton Station in Durham. Store owner Danny Moran supplied the wines, while Dana Clark, president of the Wine Club, gathered the troops for this event.

Around 30 people attended the September club to try 4 wines from the California label, Bell Wine Cellars. Hailing from Napa Valley, co-founder Anthony Bell has been around since 1991 created some artisan wines. The wines included in our $10 tasting fee included the following:

  • Bell Wine Cellars “Big Guy” Red ($30) - This red was named after Anthony’s dog, Ty, which he calls “big guy.” A blend of Cab, Merlot, Cab Franc, Malbec and Petit Verdot.
  • Bell Wine Cellars “Canterbury” Syrah ($50) - A dark, ruby red wine with spice and cracked white pepper aromas.
  • Bell Wine Cellars Claret Cabernet ($45) - Rich in fruit aromas – with hints of licorice, plum and violets.
  • Bell Wine Cellars Cabernet ($65) - A blend of several cab clones, softened with Cab Franc and a dash of Merlot.
Now I have to admit, these were some good wines, but I really wished I could have tried a little more than a 1-ounce pour of each. At the end of the tasting, I was able to try a little bit more of the Claret … but when 20 other people rush to fill their glasses as well, you really don’t get that much more than an extra 2-ounces.

But it was still a deal. While checking out Bell Wine Cellar’s website they offer their tastings for $20 per person! Sorry, this boy isn’t going to pay those high dollar Napa wine tasting games. Wait … I’m going to Napa in April of next year. Let’s hope I can use my wonderful charm and contacts in California to avoid those incredible mark-up fees.