Wednesday, March 7, 2018

North Carolina's highest-rated stouts according to Untappd


By Dathan Kazsuk
Twitter: TriangleAT | Facebook: Triangle Around Town | Instagram: trianglearoundtown

I live by the motto, "Love it or Hate it" when referring to Untappd. I like being able to keep track of my beers in one place so I can look back and see how I rated everything I've sampled. And of course I like collecting the badges.

But not once has the app's rating system caused me to either not want to try a beer because of its low rating, or made me leave the house that very moment to go buy a bottle before it's gone. I just don't buy into that hype.

A couple months ago I decided to find out the highest-rated IPA according to Untappd and its weighted average formula, that rates all beers against each other. Each of its top 50 beers in each category must have 150 ratings or more to qualify.


Related Story: Higest-Rated N.C. IPA's according to Untappd

So where did our NC stouts wind up on the top 50 lists? Let’s find out!


1. STOUT - AMERICAN 
Burial Beer Company
Skillet Donut Stout (ranked 12 out of top 50)
8% ABV  |  17,010 ratings  |  Average rating: 4.18

2. STOUT - FOREIGN/EXPORT
Wicked Weed
Dark Arts Espresso (ranked 2 out of top 50)
15% ABV  |  594 ratings  |  Average rating: 4.14

3. STOUT - IMPERIAL MILK/SWEET
Highland Brewing Company
Black Watch (ranked 31 out of top 50)
8% ABV  |  5,876 ratings  |  Average rating: 4.18

4. STOUT - MILK/SWEET
Wicked Weed
Barrel Aged Milk & Cookies  (ranked 20 out of top 50)
9.5% ABV  |  3,830 ratings  |  Average rating: 4.21

5. STOUT - OATMEAL
Wicked Weed
Cuban Coffee Dark Aged Stout  (ranked 28 out of top 50)
12% ABV  |  462 ratings  |  Average rating: 3.96

6. STOUT - OTHER
Southern Pines Brewing
Drunken Vigils (ranked 1 out of top 50)
14% ABV  |  2,073 ratings  |  Average rating: 4.28

7. STOUT - OYSTER
Free Range Brewing
Sea of Companions (ranked 8 out of top 50)
8% ABV  |  460 ratings  |  Average rating: 3.78

Untappd lists five other "stout" categories: American Imperial/Double; Imperial Double; Imperial Oatmeal; Irish Dry and Russian Imperial. In those five categories no North Carolina beer wound up on the top 50.

1 comment:

Thomas said...

I cant believe the Duck Rabbit Milk Stout is not on that list.